Good news out of North Carolina: Darrell Handelsman and Mark Wilderman of the Fayetteville SwampDogs (summer collegiate; Coastal Plain League) are recovering after a gas-grill explosion at the ballpark.
Team co-owner/GM/coach Handelsman, SwampDogs operations manager Mark Wilderman and intern Jonathan Wilson-Daughtner were hospitalized after a May 24 propane explosion at J.P. Riddle Stadium. A gas leak on a commercial-grade grill caused an explosion when lit, creating damage in the grill structure and sending four to the hospital.
Co-owner Lew Handelsman -- Darrell's father -- reports both his son and Wilderman are on the mend. Neither suffered facial burns; Handelsman received second-degree burns on his legs and right hand, while Wilderman suffered second- and third-degree burns requiring some skin grafts.
RELATED STORIES: SwampDogs open season sans Handelsman; SwampDogs to launch season as planned; three remain hospitalized; Handelsman, two others in serious condition after Fayetteville ballpark explosion
Share your news with the baseball community. Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a subscriber to the weekly Ballpark Digest newsletter? You can sign up for a free subscription at the Newsletter Signup Page.
|< Prev||Next >|